About the Institute
The Delaware County Institute of Science (DCIS) was founded in 1833 by five Quaker men: Dr. George Smith, John Cassin, Minshall Painter, George Miller, Jr., and John Miller. The mission of this organization was to diffuse knowledge to the general public, by establishing a natural history museum and a lending library. While DCIS no longer operates a lending library, we stay true to charter of providing both a physical museum as well as expanding our reach in social media and online content.
For almost 200 years DCIS has been managed and maintained by volunteers. Its permanent home is located in the 1867 building located at the corners of Jasper Street and Veterans Square in Media, PA.
So., Let us take a quick virtual tour of DCIS! Here is a 360 degree view of the Grand Lecture Hall on the second floor.
The following Code of Conduct is required of all volunteers of the Delaware County Institute of Science (DCIS).